Tuesday 2 September 2014

What a drag it is getting old

While I was away we got through yet another hamster. Years ago I remember how badly my dad was affected when one of the cats got knocked down. I was sad of course, but poor dad really took it quite hard. So much so that they didn't get another cat for a couple of years. But the older you get the more sentimental you get, I notice. So, yes, having fed our ailing hamster sugared water through a pipette for a few days and hoping against hope, I was ridiculously morose for a fortnight or so after Bilbo there took his one way trip to the vet. I loved that little guy. It torments me that he never got to the see the living room in its new configuration. There's a lot more scuttle room.

6 comments:

  1. Poor Bilbo. I'm sure he would have loved the new living room configuration

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2014 claims another: we lost Thomas while you were away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks both and likewise commiserations John.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate that final trip to the vet's. Have had to do it twice now. Not good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back, although I was hoping it to happen not for such an unhappy cause.
    Final trip to the vet's in July for our seventeen-year old cat. The last dog I had took the matter in his own hands three years ago: even though he was so old he was almost blind and he could barely walk (I was already planning the trip) one day he took advantage of a door my dad once forgot to close and simply disappeared, thus allowing us to lie to our then 4-year old daughter that he just 'went back home to his dog family'..

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is all a bit of a downer, but it's better to have these little companions in your life and pay the price of loving them when the time comes. Luca - I've heard of animals doing that, I think it'd be the final twist of the knife for me, but I like your spin on it.

    ReplyDelete