Friday 26 February 2010

More

I bought "More" by Pink Floyd the other day, encouraged by how good "Obscured by Clouds" is and curious to fill this gap in my early Pink Floyd knowledge. I've seen it hanging around in various record shops for years but I tend to avoid soundtracks.The truth is it's not that great but I couldn't resist the opportunity of a homophonous post title.

I think "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" is overrated, and I do like their later, more glacial stuff. My favourite Floyd period though is their early slightly ramshackle phase epitomised on the compilation "Relics". This music is at times a bit desolate and cold sounding but palely beautiful. One token track from "More" - "Cirrus Minor" which I already knew well from "Relics".

Pink Floyd: Cirrus Minor


And "Remember a Day" - one of their most potent wistfulness-inducing songs (for me anyway). Also on "Relics" but more properly on "A Saucerful of Secrets", maybe my favourite album of theirs.

Pink Floyd: Remember a Day

7 comments:

  1. Nice. Now you'll have to go and see a production of 'Othello' (or go walking in North Yorkshire) so you can complete the trilogy with a post called 'Moor'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking of reducing it by a letter each time, so something Middle of the Road followed by a post on a Mr Man and finally Pop Muzik by M. But no.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, yes good stuff you posted. However, I love "Pipes" a lot. There is so much guts in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I only really like "Lucifer Sam" - I couldn't get into the rest of it - too childlike. Maybe it's time I gave it another try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and Anders I meant to ask: what's become of the diving Finn?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, he decided to quit since the pressure got to much for him. He thoguht he became way to personal, I guess. And he wanted to commit to his new job.

    ReplyDelete