Tuesday 14 April 2020

A journal of the plague year


The last time I went into central London was on 27 February to go and see Grimm Grimm at Cafe Oto. It’s a great venue and this was a good gig, I got there about 10 minutes before he came on and blagged a rickety chair right at the front as he was sort of tuning up. The track above sounds quite gentle doesn’t it? The live version would not have been out of place on Isn’t Anything. I’m not sure where I picked up on him - I looked at his past gigs and I can’t believe I haven’t seen him before, he’s played loads of gigs at all the usual venues supporting bands I really like. Bit of a bummer.

The last time I went to the pub was Friday 13 March before travelling up to Sheffield on the following Monday for a fortnight off to see friends that was to have taken in gigs by Julian Cope and Lee Scratch Perry. Obviously those and a couple more since then have gone out the window. And I doubt very much that I’ll be seeing Acid Mothers Temple at the end of June or trundling along to Raw Power a month after that.

Other than that I’m having quite a good lock down. I’ve never been much of a one for drinking at home and if I’m not drinking I’m not smoking, so feeling pretty bright eyed and bushy tailed at the moment. I know I’m going to completely overdo it when the pubs do finally reopen, and I have pined for the pub on a couple of occasions, but it is nice to have this break imposed from above.  I just hope all my favourite places are still there when it’s all over.

No comments:

Post a Comment